• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
History Of Bengal
damn dont call me benny or by any other derivative of ben_ami you husky. you are doing it deliberately, not to use "ben" as a short form of ben_ami as some other do here (which i dont mind much)

and go through these posts in this very forum.

http://www.india-forum.com/forums/index.ph...108&#entry43108

http://www.india-forum.com/forums/index.ph...727&#entry46727
(post 68 onwards, a few posts)

http://www.india-forum.com/forums/index.ph...666&#entry46666
(post 87 onwards a few posts)

and as per the purans, arya vartha extended not an inch south of the vindhyas. even maharashtra falls outside it. marathis came from ayodhya and other places.

also its Rig Ved, not Rig Veda. Rig is sometimes spelt as Rg, by many koenraad elst others included. irrespective of the crap you posted fact remains that all thats hindu was written in sanskrit and in whats today punjab-haryana-up-mp-bihar (orissa too, since the person who wrote mahabharat was born in the land called Utkal/orissa). also i cant find the exact posts, but i read many times here about how the westward bound aryans lost their retroflexes and other bits of the original sanskrit, but still retained an amazing similarity in their lannguage (vis a vis sanskrit), esp in the root words. i also cant find the post here on this forum which explained how the iranian faction quarelled with the vedic indians and went west with their version of the ved (they must have disagreed with the version the Puru tribe wrote) and later formed zoroastrianism. most of the european pagan religions also have a lot in common with hinduism, for ex - the celebration of solstice and equinox.

also read
http://northernway.org/school/onwarticles.html
I thought your name was Benjamin Ami, which would have made Benny appropriate. Guess it's Ben-Ami. Okay, will refer to you as such.

<!--QuoteBegin-->QUOTE<!--QuoteEBegin-->Rig is sometimes spelt as Rg<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->This is a transliteration issue. One can technically spell any sound any way one wants to, as shown by how Gaelic words have been transferred into writing using the Roman Alphabet. However, phonetics is something we're hoping for. Rig, Rug and Rg are all three used.
In Sanskrit it is pronounced between Rig and Rug (can't think of an actual match in the alphabet). There's no actual vowel there, instead the Ri/Ru is one single letter in Devanagiri.
Hence Rg is in some ways a better way of writing it.

<!--QuoteBegin-->QUOTE<!--QuoteEBegin-->also its Rig Ved, not Rig Veda.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->You're showing your ignorance on the very topic on which you want others to believe you. No wonder you think non-Vedic things are Vedic.
That single line you've written tells me one thing: I cannot take a single statement you will ever write at face value, but will always need to confirm it from independent sources before I can ever accept your position on anything.
In case you didn't get it: it most definitely <i>is</i> Ved<i>a</i> (except in that book you might be writing Ben-Ami, on which I can't comment).

<!--QuoteBegin-->QUOTE<!--QuoteEBegin-->damn<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->Sorry. I don't believe in hell. You're free to, though.
its not veda. its not yoga. its not shiva. its not ramayan. not mahabharata.

its ved. yog. shiv. ramayan. mahabharat.

please dont screw up the language (sanskrit) or the names of important hindu gods/epics.
Let me try to divert the attention from this 'a' debate. One topic of that interest's me about bengal is the lack of rigidity in caste system when compared to rest of India. Since I have little knowledge of history I can make not make much conjectures. My ideas come from a spiritual teacher and it would be good to hear from more experts on the history. It seems the region of bengal or gauda was much like ancient vedic society for a long time with little influence of smartism on social life. It came with raghunandan not much long ago and brahmans were instated from outside. Someone may have already touched upon it. But I would like to know how was our society before smartism (actually shudraism, for raghunandan's version was aimed to give a jolly good times to few brahmins it seems?). What was the social structure and fabric of the society before smartism got it's grip? perhaves this inherent opposition to smartism made bengalis to jump for communist propaganda and doom their fate for ever...not sure, but surely bengali psychology has something dead against smartism. I personally believe in the ancient form of varna system~but medivial rigity was disgusting, it's aim was solely to deprive the majority poors. Any thoughts?
bengal doesnt have much of a caste system cos of reformers like Ram mohun roy and Vidyasagar, also cos of the elitocracy during the Rennaisanse (for ex - Shri Aurobondo was a yadav by caste). the brahmo samaj also was totally against caste system.Then the english too were pretty "liberty equality fraternity" kind of, and finally the commies are totally anti-caste system. also feudalism as seen in up, mp, bihar has been rooted out. casteism still exists in wb, but not to an extent where we witness caste killings or caste politics.

Nobody here is focusing on the root cause for the downfall of Hinduism in Bengal.

2/3 of Bengal is under muslim rule and 1/3 under communist rule.

The fact is the Bengali Brahmanas despite having one of the highest IQs in the world did not have the common sense to create a proper Kshatriya class to defend vedic culture in Bengal.

This is in complete contrast with neighbouring Nepal & Orissa, where the strong Kshatriya class worked in co-ordination with the Brahmanas to ensure both regions remained staunchly Hindu.

The Nepali Kshatriyas or Chettris are 16% of Nepal's population and form the bulk of the Nepali Army ensuring that Nepal remains a Hindu state, under a Hindu Monarch.

Nevertheless, if a Euro can law claim to the entire Western Hemisphere and Australia, and Arabs can claim wide swaths of land in Asia and Africa, certainly Hindus need to be more ambitious in extending our reach.

<!--QuoteBegin-ben_ami+May 14 2006, 07:17 PM-->QUOTE(ben_ami @ May 14 2006, 07:17 PM)<!--QuoteEBegin-->

and as per the purans, arya vartha extended not an inch south of the vindhyas. even maharashtra falls outside it. marathis came from ayodhya and other places.

also read
[right][snapback]51171[/snapback][/right]
<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--QuoteBegin-agnivayu+May 20 2006, 03:08 AM-->QUOTE(agnivayu @ May 20 2006, 03:08 AM)<!--QuoteEBegin-->Nevertheless, if a Euro can law claim to the entire Western Hemisphere and Australia, and Arabs can claim wide swaths of land in Asia and Africa, certainly Hindus need to be more ambitious in extending our reach.

<!--QuoteBegin-ben_ami+May 14 2006, 07:17 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ben_ami @ May 14 2006, 07:17 PM)<!--QuoteEBegin-->

also read
[right][snapback]51171[/snapback][/right]
[right][snapback]51444[/snapback][/right]
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
er, i meant to point out that aryavarta as explicitly defined in the Puran was confined to the triangular region as described.

in 100 years time aryavarta may extend to all english speaking countries possibly - still it wont alter the fact that originally it referred to the land noirth of the vindhyas.
<!--QuoteBegin-mitradena+May 20 2006, 01:11 AM-->QUOTE(mitradena @ May 20 2006, 01:11 AM)<!--QuoteEBegin-->2/3 of Bengal is under muslim rule and 1/3 under communist rule.

yes. and that i guess is one of the reasons why in west bengal, Durga Puja is celebrated with a fervour and spirit unequalled by any festival anywhere in india - cos all that bottled up "hindu sentiment" comes out in those 4 days of the year.

Hinduism is alive in bengal only through durga puja and a bit thanks to the presence of the Vaishnavs of Mayapur (isckon). holi is also celebrated big time, chiefly in shantiniketan, cos Tagore patronised holi.

rest of the year, we see commie politicians attending "iftar" parties thrown by muslim politicians and ullemas. its sick to see brahmins sitting between bearded muslims and eating muslim grub served by muslim waiters.

Hai,

This is Ronnie,from Kerala now living in Taiwan, I like to learn more about the chinese population in Kolkotta and also any contact information.

Please,help me to gather some information

Ronnie
can we get rid of that (^^^^) highly informative post??

<!--QuoteBegin-mitradena+May 20 2006, 01:11 AM-->QUOTE(mitradena @ May 20 2006, 01:11 AM)<!--QuoteEBegin-->Nobody here is focusing on the root cause for the downfall of Hinduism in Bengal.

2/3 of Bengal is under muslim rule and 1/3 under communist rule.

The fact is the Bengali Brahmanas despite having one of the highest IQs in the world  did not have the common sense to create a proper Kshatriya class to defend vedic culture in Bengal.

This is in complete contrast with neighbouring Nepal & Orissa, where the strong Kshatriya class worked in co-ordination with the Brahmanas to ensure both regions remained staunchly Hindu.

The Nepali Kshatriyas or Chettris are 16% of Nepal's population and form the bulk of the Nepali Army ensuring that Nepal remains a Hindu state, under a Hindu Monarch.
[right][snapback]51433[/snapback][/right]

That's interesting...also compare Bengal with Bihar. Things turned out different in the latter place too although both were under Muslims.

There are also military causes (lack of horses, lack of material for building strong forts, etc.)

Bengal

Bihar, Nepal, Orissa

<!--QuoteBegin-Ravish+Nov 28 2005, 12:13 AM-->QUOTE(Ravish @ Nov 28 2005, 12:13 AM)<!--QuoteEBegin-->The same is the case with the population of entire Northern India. It is nothing special of Bengal. You may find Bengal on the forefront for the simple reason that the British started their empire building efforts from Bengal. Therefore, the Bengali people were amongst the first to be educated in English and given employment by the East India Company. The Bengali people without understanding the consequences, lined up witht ehBiritish and provided immense help in the establishment of the British Rule in India. The Bengal Native Army of the East India Company , which made several expeditions right upto Kabul was mostly manned by the soldiers drawn from Bihar and Uttar Pradesh. However, the logistic staff was provided by Bengal and so they came to be know as Babus.
In respect of intermixing of races, it is the same all over Northern India. Only in the South at some places there may be descendents of pure Indian origin.
[right][snapback]42098[/snapback][/right]

->> Who were the first modern Indians to conceptualise a free India. (Our beloved father of the nation, could not conceptualise a free india until the early 1930s....he would have gladly accepted dominion status)

1. Bankim Chandra
2. Swami Vivekananda
3. Aurobindo Ghosh

We all know what is common amongst them

Who were the first reformers who liberated Hinduism from the social evils which had crept in during the 1000 yrs of Islamic colonization? (Even Tilak, had opposed the age of concept bill) withouting actually denigrating the religion (as did Dayananda)

Who produced the greatest literary writers

Who produced the first nationalists?

Who produced the foremost scientists like J C Bose?

Who started the first schools for women? Do you know that calcutta university allowed admission to women at the time that oxford didnt?

Link
<!--QuoteBegin-->QUOTE<!--QuoteEBegin--> South of the village stands a famous mosque, containing the tomb of Zafar Khan; it was once a Hindu Temple. This Zafar Khan was the uncle of Shah Safi; he was a zealous Musalman and was ultimately killed in a battle fought with Raja Bhudea. Zafar's son conquered the Raja of Hugli and married his daughter, who is buried within the precincts of the temple, and at this day Hindu offerings are openly made at her tomb aon Musalman festivals. Zafar Khan, although a  Muhammadan, is said to have worshipped the Ganges.
The first, which lies near the road leading along the bank of Hugli, is built of the large basalt stones , said to have been taken from an old Hindu temple, which Zafar Khan destroyed. Its east wall, which faces the river shows clear traces of mutilated Hindu idols and dragons; and fixed into it, at a height of about six feet from the ground, is a piece of iron said to be the handle of Zafar Khan's nbattle-axe.
http://www.abc.net.au/rn/science/ockham/...s19040.htm