MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
India - The Real Melting Pot !

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
India - The Real Melting Pot !
The Syrian Christians are nothing like the Parsees. Whereas the Parsees have offered only good things to India, have become its own children and did not proselytise, the Syrian Christians are the total opposite. They've lied and claimed that Hindus persecuted and killed (martyred) St Thomas. The truth is, the only Thomas of note that they could be referring to was killed in Persia, when the Persian ruler realised the proselytising nature of this religion they had given refuge to (after the Syrian Christians, known as the Nestorians*, fled the Christian nations where they were persecuted as heretics by the then orthodox form of the Church). After Persia kicked them out, the Syrian Christians came to India seeking refuge. In the case of the Parsis, Jews and Tibetan Buddhists, we've done the right thing. But with the Syrian Christians we had no idea what we were letting ourselves in for.

The Thomas-who-never-came-to-India was made into a martyr, because martyrs are a tradition in Christianity. Those annoying Hindus who wouldn't give them a martyr! So they made it up. Today it's a useful myth to relate to underline the "intolerance of Hindus".

As it happens, the Bible the Syrian Christians have DOES NOT contain the Gospel of St. Thomas which research has dated to be older than the 4 canonical gospels (see Elaine Pagels). And no, it is not a different St Thomas than the one the current Syrian Christians claim they are referring to, because their tradition says that he is Didymus Judas Thomas, i.e. Judas Thomas, the twin of Jesus (Didymus means twin). The Thomas Gospel of the Gnostic Gospels recovered is dated to be the oldest (as well as the one that gave rise to parts of the contents of the currently accepted Gospels on Jesus life). In this version, Jesus is married and has a twin named Judas Thomas given the title Didymus. Interestingly, the only complete version they've recovered is in Coptic, translated from an incomplete Greek original which they'd found earlier.

So if St Thomas, who's claimed to have lived in Jesus time, and his people did come to India in that early date after year "0", then why oh <b>why is there no St Thomas Gospel to be found among the Syrian Christians in India</b>? And never was either? Because, the Syrian Christians of today have practically the same Bible that the Nestorian Churches in Syria have and the latter don't have the Gospel of Saint Thomas either. They're closer to mainstream Christianity for that reason: the heretics had already been weaned off from the St Thomas Gospel by the time they came to Persia and then India. And that was centuries later than the time of Jesus Christ or his disputed twin. They had lost the Gospel back when they were living in Syria (or wherever they came from, as Armenia and Egypt also had Nestorian churches), but had kept the "Jesus had a twin in Thomas" belief. Before anyone proposes it, no, the persecutions of the Portuguese have nothing to do with the lack of the St Thomas Gospel in India's Syrian Christian canon. The answer is that they simply never had it when they came to India.

Though having said all that, they were better than the mainstream Christianity of their day. See http://www.askwhy.co.uk/christianity/078...rning.html, look for the word "Nestorian".
Interestingly, this link states the following:<!--QuoteBegin-->QUOTE<!--QuoteEBegin-->Christians, liberal as they never were had the Nestorian Christians driven from Syria by the Emperor Zeno, the Isaurian, around 485 AD.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
So the mainstream Christian church at that time persecuted the Nestorian heretics and sent them packing in 485 CE. That makes their arrival in India later - after all, they came seeking refuge from persecution. Unless they were persecuted prior to 485 CE as well, but there is an upper limit to that time: Christianity started persecuting heretic Christian sects after the religion had become the established religion of Rome and Byzantine (Persia had bouts of trouble with Christians around the same time too or later). And that was mainly after the council of Nicaea which was in the first half of the 4th century CE (i.e btw 300 and 350 CE)**. So, outside of India, no-one who's studied western and Christian history believes the nonsense we've put up with for so long.

And finally, they keep changing their story: in earlier times they say they were given shelter by Hindu kings and their saintly Thomas converted some of the Brahmins of Kerala. This story lasted for a long time, right upto the age when it was no longer fashionable to have converts of such caste origins. However, with the new "equality for all" PR of Christianity, they now claim that the first Indian converts to Syrian Christianity were Dalits and Shudras etc. How quaint. Their story is ever-changing, to suit popularity demands and aimed at the group they want/need to convert.
Now they're also <b>claiming that Christianity was the oldest religion of Kerala </b>(see http://kunjethy.tripod.com/syrianchristians/ ). I need a pause to recover from my laughter. Earlier, as per their history of their arrival in India, they admitted they were given refuge by Kerala's Hindu Rule. But they've now redefined Hinduism, with the help of the ever helpful AIT, to be some "Aryan religion" they call "Brahmanical" or whatever. Hence they think they can claim that Christianity was the oldest religion of Kerala. As if the Malayalis never had Gods prior to the benevolent Intro to Religion course foisted on them by Syrian Christians.

Thankfully, Syrian Christians are not all like this. Similar to how not all Muslims are violent (it's mainly those who've perused and accepted the Koran). But evangelisation is a hallmark of Christianity, and the Syrian Christians (or the new converts who claim to be Syrian Christians) are aggressively pushing it onto people in Kerala.

*Not all Syrian Christian churches in Syria or India are called "Nestorian", some are called Syrian Orthodox, etc. But the lineage of their branch of Christianity is Nestorian, so I've referred to them as such.
** Previously I had wrongly typed "3rd century", when I meant to refer to the century starting from 300 CE. I've now corrected it to "4th century CE".
that was very informative
Does anybody remember the Tamil author Sandilyan's book "Kanni Madam" where there is a greek character "Kallukadaiyan" ?

I know it is a fictional work, but I know that there was a fair amount of sea trading between the Mediterranean coastal regions and the south Indian ports.

Does anybody know any stories regarding this?
The St.Thomas story is nothing but a myth propped up to malign Hindus as fanatics, it has been exposed here in the book The Myth of Saint Thomas and the Mylapore Shiva Temple, it is available online at http://hamsa.org/
k.ram,
Thanks for the Ishwaran Sharan interview. I just read it. It was brilliant, and so true. He really knows his stuff. (I needn't have added my lengthy post to the thread, because that hamsa.org link Bharatvarsh had pasted and the Sharan interview have basically stated it all).

As regards the Parsis and the strict marriage laws they have, we must ensure that they survive as a community in India, and by extension in the world. So we must help to increase the chances of Parsee women meeting up with Parsee men and get married, have children, etc. I daresay they've already set up facilities to arrange contact. Are there any special websites out there that can arrange such meetings (like say matrimonial sites)? It must be very difficult for Parsees to find partners when there are so few of them and the chance of contact being smaller. The internet will definitely help in this though.
In pictures: India's African communities
http://www.jewsofindia.org/
<!--QuoteBegin-->QUOTE<!--QuoteEBegin--><b>Indian said to be first in line to lost French throne</b>
Press Trust of India
London, March 3, 2007
<b>Balthazar Napolean de Bourbon, a jovial Indian lawyer and part-time farmer settled in Bhopal, has been told that he is the first in line to the lost French throne.</b>

According to media reports, "Bourbon may soon make his first trip to Paris, after he was visited by a relative of Prince Philip, who told him that he is the first in line to the lost French throne."

<b>This Indian father of three is being feted as the long-lost descendant of the Bourbon kings who ruled France from the 16th century to the French revolution.

A distant cousin of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette, he is alleged to be not only related to the current Bourbon king of Spain and the Bourbon descendants still in France, but to have more claim than any of them to the French crown</b>.

Prince Michael of Greece, the cousin of Prince Philip, this week published a historical novel called Le Rajah de Bourbon, which traces the swashbuckling story of Bourbon's first royal ancestor in India.

<b>Prince Michael believes Jean de Bourbon was a nephew of the first Bourbon French king, Henry IV. In the mid-16th century Jean embarked on an action-packed adventure across the world which saw him survive assassination attempts and kidnap by pirates to be sold at an Egyptian slave market and serve in the Ethiopian army.

In 1560, he turned up at the court of the Mogul emperor Akbar. It was the beginning of a long line of Bourbons in India, who centuries later would serve as the administrators of Bhopal and become the second most important family in the region.</b>

Michael of Greece, who lives in Paris and is of Bourbon descent believes his work on his newfound Indian "cousins" is more than just the latest whimsy in a history of attempts to uncover relatives of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette.

"If I am right - and I don't have absolute proof, but I completely believe in my theory - then Balthazar Bourbon would be the eldest in the line," he told the Guardian.

"This is the cherry on the cake. Bourbon is head of a decent, dignified, middle-class Indian family. They look so Indian and yet bear this name. When you look at them, it seems incredible. The more unbelievable it is, the more I believe in it."

He said several of his royal relatives in Spain and France were "quite excited and thrilled to have found a new branch". He was in favour of a DNA test, perhaps from a surviving lock of Bourbon hair, to establish the facts.

When his sister went to France on holiday she visited a castle once owned by Bourbon kings. It was closed to the public but she showed her Indian passport with the Bourbon name and was allowed in.

<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<b>The Sentinelese, natives of North Sentinel Island:</b>

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XNY-3z-dPkw
Just notice how healthy they are...
Can anybody give me any compelling reasons to explain something unusual that has occured in my family's genetic pool? My eldest daughter caused us quite a shock when she started to grow out of her baby stage. She has very dark brown hair but not black, very very green eyes, fair skin - as fair as a caucasian european though she tans easily in the sun - and lots of freckles! She has a high nose, a square jaw and round eyes! I have had people give me very strange looks as if to wonder whether this is truly my husbands child! Our second child was born with black hair and a fairish/tea-coloured complexion, but she also has round green eyes.
My husband and I are both of medium complexion and brown eyed, he is Bengali, but i am not very sure of my precise ancestory as most of my family except for my father died during partition, i do remember him telling me that his mother was very very fair but i thought he was being favourable because she is his mother. So could this be a genetic trait? If so, where on earth has it come from?
'I will have a lot to tell the Queen'
<!--QuoteBegin-->QUOTE<!--QuoteEBegin--><b>India has a tiny Dutch expat population. </b>

Quite a bit less probably than it did 350 to 400 odd years ago when the Dutch East Indian Company was finding a foothold in South India in towns like Tuticorin, Kochi and Pulicat. But a recognisable population nevertheless.

Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands, who is visiting India on a state visit after 21 years (although she was in Rajasthan, India for the millennium new year with her family), plans to meet this Dutch community, who will assemble in Bangalore for the occasion

<!--QuoteBegin-->QUOTE<!--QuoteEBegin-->'I think there must be about 100 Dutch people in India. I don't know. I think maybe 50. I will be the only Dutch restaurateur to meet her. The rest are all boring corporate people who work in banks, insurance and investment banking. I think I will be the most dymanic among them and I am sure I will have a lot to tell her
<!--QuoteBegin-->QUOTE<!--QuoteEBegin-->custom unique to the Bene Israel was abstaining from eating beef. The majority of Indians are Hindus. The Hindus believe that cow is sacred and therefore to maintain good relations with their Hindu neighbors they abstained from eating beef 

<!--QuoteBegin-->QUOTE<!--QuoteEBegin-->The Bene Israel’s population at their height was perhaps 30000 in India and that was in the 1950s. Proportionally they weren’t even 0.01% of the Indian population. Since the 1950s most of the Bene Israel have immigrated to Israel, and some to English speaking countries like Australia and England. Today in India there are less than 5000 Bene Israels, most of them live in Thana a suburb of Mumbai http://209.85.175.104/search?q=cache:ytgVt...n&gl=in&strip=1<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->