06-04-2008, 02:04 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-->QUOTE<!--QuoteEBegin-->Maoists say Prachanda's comments a joke, 12 papers close
A day after their chief Prachanda warned the media of serious consequences if it criticises his party, the Maoists went into a damage control mode saying the comments were a "joke" even as 12 newspapers shut shop in western Nepal due to terror unleased by the former rebels.
"Prachanda was just joking pointing to a news coverage by The Kathmandu Post that predicted the Maoists getting only 15 seats in CA polls," the CPN-Maoist's second in command Baburam Bhattarai told journalists at a reception hosted by Federation of Nepalese Journalists (FNJ) on Saturday evening.
"We will no longer tolerate criticism as we have already been elected by the people... we have become the largest party," Prachanda was quoted as saying at a party rally here on Friday.
The FNJ, which has said Prachanda's remarks were against press freedom, claimed 12 newspapers in western Nepal city of Dhangadi in Kailali district had shut down their publication indefinitely due to threats by Maoists a day after he threatened to take action against popular daily The Kathmandu Post and other newspapers that were writing against Maoists.
Last week when local journalist Lucky Chaudhari was severely beaten up by Maoists, the scribes staged sit-in at the District Administration Office demanding security for journalists on May 28 but were attacked by the former rebels, it said.
Three persons were killed after police opened fire to control the situation.
The Maoist threat has led to closure of 12 newspapers in Kailali district. The journalists are facing increasing threats by the Maoist cadres, said FNJ president Dharmendra Jha and demanded security for scribes.
www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/001200806011661.htm<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
A day after their chief Prachanda warned the media of serious consequences if it criticises his party, the Maoists went into a damage control mode saying the comments were a "joke" even as 12 newspapers shut shop in western Nepal due to terror unleased by the former rebels.
"Prachanda was just joking pointing to a news coverage by The Kathmandu Post that predicted the Maoists getting only 15 seats in CA polls," the CPN-Maoist's second in command Baburam Bhattarai told journalists at a reception hosted by Federation of Nepalese Journalists (FNJ) on Saturday evening.
"We will no longer tolerate criticism as we have already been elected by the people... we have become the largest party," Prachanda was quoted as saying at a party rally here on Friday.
The FNJ, which has said Prachanda's remarks were against press freedom, claimed 12 newspapers in western Nepal city of Dhangadi in Kailali district had shut down their publication indefinitely due to threats by Maoists a day after he threatened to take action against popular daily The Kathmandu Post and other newspapers that were writing against Maoists.
Last week when local journalist Lucky Chaudhari was severely beaten up by Maoists, the scribes staged sit-in at the District Administration Office demanding security for journalists on May 28 but were attacked by the former rebels, it said.
Three persons were killed after police opened fire to control the situation.
The Maoist threat has led to closure of 12 newspapers in Kailali district. The journalists are facing increasing threats by the Maoist cadres, said FNJ president Dharmendra Jha and demanded security for scribes.
www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/001200806011661.htm<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->