• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Removing The Sheen From Judaism
<!--QuoteBegin-G.Subramaniam+Feb 23 2009, 10:00 AM-->QUOTE(G.Subramaniam @ Feb 23 2009, 10:00 AM)<!--QuoteEBegin-->I am worried that there are too many jew hindu marriages going on in silicon valley

Just google up Hinjew[right][snapback]94853[/snapback][/right]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->Though I don't know about the American case, one can see the attraction. There were Israeli exchange students and they were very kind - and sincere in their kindness - very bright and knowledgeable and, most importantly, very principled. Highly principled. I also liked looking at them.
The ones I knew were Jewish but not of the very strictly religious kind, and I appreciated their openness in accepting others as friends without any expectation. That's why I don't think the Hindu-Jewish summit need be the way to go at all. There are other Jews who would be quite willing to co-exist with Hindus in this world without either of us having to change or to tresspass in each other's space (religious).

But I can't see the advantage of Hindus and Jews intermarrying because <i>they</i>'d be stuck with spouses offending their God, and it's impossible for us as well (Hindus have strict rules about marrying). Both are endogamous traditions and both place (religious) expectations on marriage, as also happens among the Natural Traditionalists in E Asia: Taoists, Shintos and Mahayana Buddhists can't just marry anyone.

But friendship between Hindus and Jews - from experience - oh yes, assuredly.

In India, isn't it the case that Jews only marry among themselves and so are their own subcommunity, and that they fit in well because they also do not have any intention or practice of intermarrying with others?

I think in America there is just too much melting-potism that affects all the migrants. America seems to dilute identity and confuse people about who they are or make them altogether forgetful.

<!--QuoteBegin-->QUOTE<!--QuoteEBegin-->Hindus have a soft spot for jews, since there is the commonality of enemies<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->My "soft spot" for Jews is due to the fact that the Israeli Jews I knew were good people, good company, worth befriending. Am glad to have known them. Interesting how the first friends they make are Hindus and Serbs (and then E Asian Buddhists sometimes - there's a slight language factor here) and the unreligious among the locals. Good taste.

Messages In This Thread
Removing The Sheen From Judaism - by Husky - 02-23-2009, 11:33 AM
Removing The Sheen From Judaism - by Husky - 02-23-2009, 06:08 PM
Removing The Sheen From Judaism - by HareKrishna - 03-06-2009, 12:05 PM
Removing The Sheen From Judaism - by Meluhhan - 10-24-2011, 04:29 AM
Removing The Sheen From Judaism - by Meluhhan - 11-05-2011, 06:07 AM
Removing The Sheen From Judaism - by rcscwc - 05-21-2012, 09:13 AM
Removing The Sheen From Judaism - by Husky - 01-02-2013, 06:08 PM
Removing The Sheen From Judaism - by Husky - 02-26-2014, 03:33 PM