• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The tactics used by America to destroy (East) Asian society
Post 1/2

4 news items on the same topic. I seem to have forgotten to post these.

A typical IR romance.

1. news.asiaone.com/news/singapore/another-amy-cheong-young-mother-complains-about-noise-malay-wedding

Quote:Anton Casey furore: British expat leaves job after Singapore 'poor people' remark

AFP

Saturday, Jan 25, 2014

SINGAPORE - A Singapore-based British wealth adviser who set off a firestorm by publicly insulting Singaporeans who have to rely on public transport has "parted ways" with his former employer, the firm said Saturday.

Porsche-driving Anton Casey, 39, who is married to a former Singapore beauty queen, has gone to Australia but has not said what his future plans are following the controversy.

He holds permanent residency in Singapore, which he calls his adopted home, and claims to have received death threats after he referred to public transport users as "poor people" in a social network post.

Casey's employer Crossinvest (Asia) Pte Ltd said in a statement: "Those comments go against our core corporate and family values that are based on trust, mutual understanding and are respectful of diversity."

"Accordingly, Crossinvest Asia and Mr Casey have parted ways with immediate effect," it added in a Facebook post early Saturday.

In a statement to the Straits Times newspaper on Friday, Casey, a Singapore permanent resident, said he had left for Australia "due to threats made towards my family", asking for forgiveness.

The Briton and his family, now in Perth, faced stinging verbal abuse from Internet users after Facebook posts insulting commuters in the wealthy city-state went viral.

One of the posts showed a picture of a boy, apparently his five-year-old son, sitting inside a metro train with a caption above the photo saying: "Daddy, where is your car & who are all these poor people?"

Many took to social media on Saturday to welcome Casey's departure from the boutique wealth management firm.

Singapore - with a modern public transport system - is one of the world's wealthiest societies, with a per-capita gross domestic product of Sg$65,048 in 2012.

Found in the comments to the above, a good cartoon:

[color="#0000FF"]2.bp.blogspot.com/_aMxISxmw94Y/TSs3eMhmjhI/AAAAAAAAAQ0/WpeaPyJ73JI/s1600/talk_politics_free_hand%2528source%252C%2Bjpg%2529.JPG[/color]

2. independent.co.uk/news/business/news/british-expat-anton-casey-causes-uproar-in-singapore-after-mocking-poor-people-calling-a-taxi-driver-a-retard-9077795.html

Quote:British expat banker Anton Casey causes uproar in Singapore after mocking 'poor people' calling a taxi driver a 'retard'

Porsche-driving Anton Casey has received death threats after his offensive comments went viral

Maria Tadeo Web reporter for The Independent

Wednesday 22 January 2014

A British businessman has issued an apology after receiving death threats in Singapore for mocking "poor people" and calling a taxi driver a "retard" in a series of abusive remarks.

Anton Casey, a fund manager married to a former Miss Singapore, has caused an uproar in the country after posting a picture of his son sitting on a train on Facebook with the caption: "Daddy, where is your car & who are all these poor people?"

Another photo shows the five-year-old in his Porsche, with an equally offensive caption: "Ahhhh reunited with my baby. Normal service can resume, once I have washed the stench of public transport off me."

In a separate Facebook post, the former London stockbroker insulted a local cabbie for wearing a towel on his lap and hand warmers while driving.

He added: "Today's cabbie retard award goes to...Mr Arm Warmers, stripy mittens & towel on the lap man....After all, it's only 37c outside."

(Hmmm. Singaporean cabbie seems to have a keen sense of style. I may have to be drastic and plagiarise his daring fashion sense. And since people always copy my gear too, it'll have started a new trend, all owing to the Kewl Singaporean Cabbie who went with what was comfortable to him instead of what the colonial looter expected of him.)

Anton Casey has apologised after causing an uproar in Singapore where he mocked "poor people" and a taxi driver

Mr Casey, 39, tried to make amends in a YouTube video, but the stunt backfired after he told viewers: "Don't be angry at me, be angry with your mum and dad for raising you a wuss".

(The liar. Singaporeans aren't the cowards: Casey's the one who scampered off to Australia with his tail between his legs whining "I'm being persecuted" and made to eat his words and resorting to pleading to be able to return. Wuss.

What *is* true however - and I'm stating the obvious here - is that Ex-Miss Singapore is only with Casey because she recognised him from the first as a Walking Blank Cheque. He need maintain no delusions on the matter. And oh, that thousand-watt (crocodile) smile she laid on him - when he thought he was being charming and winning her over - well, that was merely her on-demand smile (call it an evolutionary adaptation; plus beauty queens have experience emitting those on cue during pageants). She'll be milking his bank account even after he's dead. So I'm certain Singaporeans have the last laugh here.)

He claims the video was "misused" and taken out of context. He tried to change his Facebook name to Anson Casey but ultimately deactivated the account to stop the abuse.

The financier has received hundreds of angry comments from furious locals and death threats calling for him to leave the country immediately.

(Yay for death threats: always scares off terrorists. Like the above cowardly lunatic ran off into hiding in Australia. Well done Singaporeans, well done. Ingrate barbarians deserve to be chased off. Don't insult the heathen natives, let alone in their homeland.)

Mr Casey has apologised for his "poor judgement" describing Singapore as a "wonderful country".

In a statement, he said: "I have the highest respect and regard for Singapore and the good people of Singapore; this is my home.

(Oh *sure* he does. It was so obvious in everything he said, wasn't it?)

"I wish for nothing more than to be forgiven for my poor judgment and given a second chance to rebuild the trust people have had in me as a resident of this wonderful country."

Mr Casey's firm Crossinvest Asia is investigating his comments and is set to take "appropriate action" once the review is completed.

Managing director Christophe Audergon said: "Crossinvest doest not condone the comments. We believe they were made in poor taste.

"We are currently investigating the comments made by our employee and will take appropriate action once we are in possession of all the facts."

3. sg.news.yahoo.com/british-expat-anton-casey-apologises-for-comments-that-sparked-online-uproar-in-singapore-033857887.html

Quote:British expat Anton Casey on anti-Singaporean Facebook posts: Please forgive me

Yahoo Newsroom – Wed, Jan 22, 2014......Yahoo Newsroom/NTDTV YouTube video screengrab - British national and private wealth manager Anton Casey.

....A private wealth manager in Singapore who sparked outrage online for referring to public transport commuters as "poor people" has apologised.

In a statement issued through Fulford Public Relations on Tuesday, British national Anton Casey said, "I deeply regret having offended and disrespected the people of Singapore. I have the highest respect and regard for Singapore and the good people of Singapore; this is my home."

Several of Casey's comments caused public outrage when screengrabs of his Facebook posts surfaced on various Singapore websites and forums on Monday.

In one post showing a photo of his son seated on an MRT train, Casey said, "Daddy where is your car & who are all these poor people?"

Of another photo showing his son in his Porsche, he said in a post, "Ahhhhhhhhh reunited with my baby. Normal service can resume, once I have washed the stench of public transport off me...!"

In another post, he called a Singapore male cabbie a "retard" for wearing arm warmers and mittens and having a towel on his lap.

[color="#FF0000"]"After 11 years of residency, I am still trying to understand THESE people!" he added.[/color]

Casey, who is believed to be staying in Sentosa Cove and is married to 2003 Miss Singapore Universe pageant winner Bernice Wong, said that due to a "security breach" of his personal Facebook page and the misuse of an old video by unknown sources, his family, especially his five-year-old son, "suffered extreme emotional and verbal abuse online".

Many people who saw the posts and video reacted negatively, with many calling the expatriate "arrogant" and urging him and his family to get out of Singapore.

"It must be made extremely clear that a YouTube video of me, with my son in the background, was not posted in response to any recent events. This video was made weeks prior and has been misused to portray me as unreprentant," he said.

Casey added that police investigations were ongoing into the matter, including death threats his family have received.

He also urged people to forgive him and give him a second chance, noting that his five-year-old son "is an innocent party to this unfortunate and extremely stressful situation".

"I wish for nothing more than to be forgiven for my poor judgement and given a second chance to rebuild the trust people have had in me as a resident of this wonderful Country," he concluded.

One male expatriate who got to know Casey and his family over the past several months told Yahoo Singapore that the wealth manager had a very British sense of humour, which can be very scathing, "but it can cross lines and it did cross lines".

"I had to defriend him on Facebook because I couldn't stand the rubbish he was writing about all sorts of people," the expat said, adding that Casey's wife and son though were "sweet".

Here is a video of Anton being interviewed about Singapore's private wealth industry in 2010.

[color="#0000FF"]ADDED:[/color]

About this again -

Quote:(Anton Casey) insulted a local cabbie for wearing a towel on his lap and hand warmers while driving.

He added: "Today's cabbie retard award goes to...Mr Arm Warmers, stripy mittens & towel on the lap man....After all, it's only 37c outside."
In case it wasn't clear, the local cab driver is rather likely to have had the mittens on him in order to deal with a burning hot steering wheel. During hot summer days, if the car's been out in the sun long, I keep wishing I'd remembered to bring my gloves for once in order to grasp the wheel properly. But unlike me, the cabbie is sensible and prepared. Alternatively he may have been feverish or - who knows - some reason for choosing to have mittens and arm warmers with him.

The towel on the lap may likewise simply be for wiping his brow: don't know about others, but just driving for 20 mins in the car on a hot day and I already feel like my face will melt off. Anyone who's a chauffeur is likely to be in a car for a large part of their day, so their having a towel near to hand in a 37 degree C situation to wipe off perspiration seems perfectly sensible. The fact that Casey can't even envision that any reasoning may exist behind the practical 'fashion' of the cab driver further proves that Casey is the moron and not the cabbie. Besides, who in the world would it matter to - except morons - what a cabbie wears, since it has no bearing on what his services are hired for, which is for getting passengers to their destinations on time.

Messages In This Thread
The tactics used by America to destroy (East) Asian society - by Husky - 03-20-2014, 09:14 PM