• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Indian Missile News And Discussion
The target missile is fired from the Chandipur on sea launch site, and the wheeler island is about 70 Km downstream. The target missile will again likely be a Prithvi.

Now doesn't this sound like boost phase intercept because of the small distance involved? IIRC only one test off a sukanya class ship was a re-entry test (the test where supposedly both the PAD and the AAD were to be fired).

What sort of velocity would the target missile have if it were in the range of the AAD?

Or will the DRDO fire off the Prithvi on a depressed trajectory to a range of say 150 Km and the aad takes it out more like in a mid course?
[size="6"]Indian Army Scouts For Medium Range Loitering Missile[/size]

[Image: Fire+Shadow+copyright+MBDA.JPG]

The Indian Army has said it is interested in procuring unspecified numbers of a new medium range Loitering Missile (LM) system, and has sent out Requests for Information to firms in Israel (IAI Malat), France (MBDA) and the US (Raytheon). A glance through the RFI shows the Army is interested in a system with capabilities that include top-attack and the ability to abort an attack after target lock (and re-designate). The Army wants a system where the launcher can be mounted on a Tatra truck.

http://livefist.blogspot.com/2010/03/arm...ering.html

Meet the Loitering Attack Missile (LAM) – or perhaps that should be, hope you never meet it. The LAM is an integral part of the Army's Future Combat Systems and when it goes into service, the 60-inch, 120-pound missile will make life very unpredictable for enemies of the United States. The LAM will be an expendable, loitering hunter-killer, equipped with laser radar seeker and autonomous target recognition – among several very high tech features of the missile is its micro turbojet engine capable of loitering 30 minutes at ranges of 70 kilometres. In addition to its lethal capabilities, the LAM will provide commanders with additional target location and identification capabilities and has two-way data links for retasking in flight and down-linking battlefield images. In summary, the LAM loiters for 30 minutes, identifying battlefield targets and towards the end of its 30 minute mission, or when a priority target appears, it can break off its search and attack the target or any other target under the direction of its commanders.

The LAM is developing nicely, and its propulsion system uses a remarkable engine from Technical Directions Inc. (TDI) of Ortonville, Michigan. The TDI micro turbojet engine has unique design features that make it compact, low-cost and easy to assemble. The engine was designed to use automotive turbocharger parts for the compressor and turbine wheels, with fuel used to lubricate and cool the bearings, eliminating the need for heavy lubricating oil. Altitude chamber and flight testing of the engine system confirmed its full operational capability. The 7-inch-diameter turbojet weighs 16 lbs and generates 100 lbs of thrust at 96,000 rpm.

"After an exhaustive and rigorous evaluation of all engine options available today, this was the only micro-turbojet engine on the market that demonstrated the ability to meet the NLOS-LS LAM performance requirements," said Dennis Stalmach, senior propulsion engineer at Lockheed Martin Missile and Fire Control. "And the cost of this engine is a fraction of the cost of other similar engines, which will result in a much lower cost product for our customer."

The TDI engines were designed to be assembled in 15 minutes, while the total time allocated for assembly, acceptance testing and packaging for shipment is under two hours, a significant discriminator in the ability to quickly and cost-effectively deliver engines on time and within budget.

"A small, reliable, low-cost turbojet engine was just the solution we needed for LAM," said Glenn Kuller, director - Netted Fires at Lockheed Martin Missiles and Fire Control. "All of the pieces are falling into place on the LAM program, and we're eager to get this highly effective weapon into the hands of our Soldiers as soon as possible."

The NLOS-LS LAM is a ground-launched, canistered tactical missile capable of increasing the warfighter's area of influence through hunter-killer flight operation, automatic target recognition, and can attack high value targets or report their target locations for attack by other weapons systems.

LAM's LADAR seeker provides three-dimensional analysis of potential targets. The LAM vehicle is 62 inches long and weighs 117 pounds, and can search a wide area or loiter for 30 minutes at a range of 70 kilometers. Two-way data links on LAM will provide for re-tasking while in-flight and down-linking of images.

http://defense-update.com/products/l/lam.htm

For over 20 years Delilah was officially defined as a 'Suppression of Enemy Air Defense (SEAD) powered decoy, but behind the curtain of secrecy, the Israel Air Force and IMI developed an innovative and unique weapon, that has served the IAF well in the past 20 years.

Originally, Delilah and Samson were developed for the IAF as part of an IMI family of SEAD decoys. However, while Samson continued to evolve as a decoy, that became a successful export product, Delilah disappeared from the 'radar screens' and kept a very low profile, becoming one of the air force's to secret programs. Through its transformation, the decoy evolved into a 'loitering precision attack weapon', combining the capabilities of an unmanned aerial vehicle and guided missile, capable of attacking enemy targets with unprecedented precision, agility and persistence.

The weapon's imaging sensors, smart mission-control and two-way datalink, enable 'human in the loop' control which, coupled with extended loitering capability, offering Delilah unprecedented combat capabilities. The weapon can be used to accurately and selectively attack a target at it's weakest points, for example, targeting a protected command center. In this mode, Delilah can be aimed to strike a specific part of the structure, or disable a vital communications link, without destroying the entire target. The weapon’s loitering capability proves an essential feature, when targets are hidden, concealed, or difficult to identify on the first pass, or if the conditions do not match prior assessment. Under such conditions Delilah is commanded to 'go around', wait for better conditions or strike the target from a different angle.

Since Delilah entered service with the IAF in the early 1990s, the weapon went through periodical evolution primarily through Block upgrades. The different missiles may look the same, but their capabilities have significantly been improved over the years. The first production models of the Delilah were integrated only in the Israeli F-4E. It was later introduced to the improved Phantom-2000, F-16C/D and, most lately to F-16I (Israeli Block 52) models. Delilah is currently being evaluated by a number of foreign navies, for use as land attack and anti-ship weapon, carried by naval helicopters.

"Delilah is our 'flagship of weapons', the most advanced ground attack weapon the IAF has" says Lt. Colonel Gil, head of ordnance branch in the Air Force's Weapon Systems Division. Primary use of this weapon is the hunting for targets, such as surface missiles and launchers, rocket launching sites, and surface-to-air weapons. Over the years we also introduced an anti-structure warhead to improve our effectiveness against fortified and urban targets." During the 2nd Lebanon War the air force used ordnance, representing almost every type of weapon in its arsenal. Delilah missiles were also used, hunting of Hezbollah supply trucks. The missiles tracked vehicles carrying rocket loads, crossing from Syria and destroyed them inside Lebanon." Lt. Col. G admits Delilah is an expensive weapon that cannot be commonly employed, but only selectively, when the target 'value' justifies the cost. The IAF continues to evolve the system, into future weapons that will continue and expand the Delilah concept and its capabilities. Furthermore, the IAF recently upgraded the weapon simulator of the Delilah, to reflect the latest capabilities of the weapon.

http://tinyurl.com/yhbvrvt
[quote name='Raj Malhotra' date='14 March 2010 - 10:43 AM' timestamp='1268543122' post='105162']

re Arun_S

I think you would have noticed that some recent news reports have mentioned the range of Shaurya at around 1900km, which means that it reasonably good reach. Incidentally i have still not understood the rationale for its cruise missile profile. It cruises at height of 40km which means that it would be visible to ground radar from a few hundred kmm (around 700km) so what could be the benefit?

[/quote]

I missed that.

Could you pls provide url/clip info?
This is the most exclusive and informative book on Missile Re-entry vehicle development, of maneuvering kind.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the author yesterday, and it is the best material that one would die to know about in yesteryear.

The book will be publicly released next month on 6 April 2010.

It is worth every rupee spent to read this wonderful book.

Its chapter 8 talks about Agni-II and III missile's re-entry vehicle. He draws on some of my articles and drawings/pictures

Quote: Lightning Bolts

First Maneuvering Reentry Vehicles

by William Yengst

[Image: 9781615665471med.jpg]

[url="http://www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore/book.php?w=978-1-61566-547-1"]Lightning Bolts[/url]

First Maneuvering Reentry Vehicles

by William Yengst

"History shows that demands of wartime military and political leaders have often motivated development of new and advanced technologies. The German desire to attack American cities with long-range variants of V-2 missiles during the latter years of World War II stimulated development of maneuvering reentry vehicle concepts. In the mid-1960s, these concepts were secretly refined and tested by the United States to provide accurate delivery of strategic nuclear warheads at intercontinental ranges and to assure their penetration of newly developed Soviet anti-ballistic missile defenses.

First Maneuvering Reentry Vehicles, by William C. Yengst, describes the initial feasibility programs to test three alternative designs for implementing hypersonic maneuvers and accurate guidance of long-range reentry vehicles. It identifies the political and military motivations, environmental challenges, design difficulties, innovative technology solutions, test failures, and spectacular successes. It also summarizes development of operational maneuvering reentry vehicles prepared for U.S. Air Force, Navy, and Army long-range missile systems during the 1980s. The technology has been adopted and further refined by foreign nations (India, China and Russia) in building their latest missile systems. Therefore, it is important to understand the capabilities and performance characteristics of future potential threats.

Written as a first-hand account of the technology's evolution, the book honors the dedicated engineers and scientists who worked to make these programs a success."

308 pages - $16.99 (paperback)

This item usually ships within 5 to 7 days (though it can take a few days longer if additional copies need to be manufactured).

This book is also available for purchase as an eBook download. Welcome to the world of eBooks where instead of receiving a physical paper book in the mail, you would be given access to the eBook file for this complete book. Within minutes you can be reading this book on your computer, PDA, cellphone or a stand-alone eBook reader (such as the Sony Reader)—at a reduced cost! Click the "Order Online" button below to purchase this eBook download today!

$10.99 (digital download)

Here is an email exchange with the vetern engineer/manager last year.

Quote:From: William Yengst[email="wyengst@roadrunner.com"][/email][indent]]

Sent: 25 May 2009

Subject: Agni RV-Mark2 assembly line photo

Dear Sir,

As a retired missile engineer, I have written a book entitled "The First Maneuvering Reentry Vehicles," which is scheduled for publication late in 2009 by Tate Publishing Limited.

The manuscript describes the history of MRV technology from the German World War II concepts and experiments through several U.S. development programs.

From 1964 through 1982, I was the Aerospace Corporation manager for general systems engineering and technical direction of the MBRV, BGRV, MARCAS, and Pershing II reentry vehicles. To illustrate the continued technology development, I have included a chapter on Agni II and Agni III vehicle designs as well as Chinese and recent Russian Topol-M MRV concepts.

During my research on Agni II, I found an excellent photograph of a complete vehicle (Agni RV-Mark 2 on assembly line), in the Internet article, "Agni-Strategic Ballistic Missile," by Arun Vishwakarma

([url="http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/MISSILES/Agni.htm"]http://www.bharat-ra...SSILES/Agni.htm[/url]). I would very much like to receive your permission to reprint the picture in my book to illustrate the continued technology development. The textual presentation is strictly scientific with no political or military commentary concerning the missile system. I am greatly impressed by the simple but highly technical approach Bharat Rakshak has taken in developing this design.

Please let me know by "written permission" if I may reprint the photograph. I will be pleased to abide by any conditions, including giving Bharat Rakshak and DRDO credit for the picture. I will consider a fee for

use of the picture and will gladly send you copies of my book once it is published. You may find details of our early U.S. MRV development experiments and innovative approaches interesting.

Thank you for consideration, William C. Yengst

[/indent]
[indent]
Quote:Hello Arun,

Yes, you found the right image. As I indicated in my message, I am most interested in obtaining permission to reproduce the image. [color="#0000ff"] I have worked on maneuvering reentry vehicles for most of my 55-year career and thought it was time that someone put the entire history on paper. [/color] However, I did not want to stop with programs that I had personally worked on and[color="#0000ff"] wanted to present the Agni II as an example of newer technology[/color].

I will be pleased to send you a copy of the book when it is published and will consider a fee for use of the picture if required. It is a pleasure and honor to communicate with you...I have very much enjoyed reading your papers.

Sincerely, Bill Yengst

[/indent]
[url="http://www.upiasia.com/Security/2010/03/04/indias_emerging_maritime_clout/7272/"]My link[/url]

New Delhi, India — The Indian Defense Ministry’s Sixth Land and Naval Defense Systems Exhibition held in New Delhi last month showcased newly inducted equipment by the country’s navy and army. Defexpo 2010 saw over 650 companies from around the world display their products and systems for possible acquisition by India’s military.

But the indigenously developed Shaurya missile, capable of being fired underwater by Indian submarines, was the pièce de résistance of the exhibition. The missile is a canister-launched, solid-fuelled hypersonic surface-to-surface tactical weapon capable of carrying a payload of conventional or nuclear warheads.

With a range of 700 to 1,900 kilometers, the trajectory of the missile, unlike ballistic missiles, can be preprogrammed to make it difficult for anti-missile systems to intercept.
[url="http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100315/wl_sthasia_afp/indiadefencemissile"]India's missile shield test fails: officials[/url]
Quote:The test was abandoned when the radars following the target, a nuclear-capable missile, lost track of it after it blasted off from a site 200 kilometres (120 miles) from Bhubaneswar in eastern India.

"The 'hostile' missile went off the radars after it took off and deviated from its trajectory and so the interceptor was not launched," an official from Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) said, asking not to be named.

DRDO spokesman Ravi Gupta in New Delhi confirmed the seven-metre (23-foot foot) interceptor missile was not launched during Monday's botched test.

India would join Israel, Russia and the United States in developing and possessing such technology if it is rolled out per schedule this year.

The system's tracking and fire control radars have been developed by the DRDO jointly with Israel and France.
Arun, In light of the new book Lightning Bolts, may be we should look at the Shourya as an integrated M®V though not at those high speeds? The author says MRV's use the extreme kinetic energy to shape the trajectory to avoid defences. Can we analog the Shourya to be a powered weapon which manouvers and does the same without leaving the atmosphere in some trajectories?
Arunji,

A lot of noise is being made about the "hostile" prithvi failing. Is this just a random failure or is it that we still have quality control problems even in basic matters ? I certainly believe there is no basic problem with prithvi or even agni I/II. I also find it hard to believe that QC problems could arise so consistently. It may not be random coincidence.

One thing the authorities should seriously watch out for is sabotage in the production line. Recently, some workers at BDL were caught trying to do this sort of thing (maybe for some other equipment). Special IB detachments need to be integrated with important facilities like BDL.
[quote name='ramana' date='15 March 2010 - 11:03 PM' timestamp='1268673955' post='105198']

Arun, In light of the new book Lightning Bolts, may be we should look at the Shourya as an integrated M®V though not at those high speeds? The author says MRV's use the extreme kinetic energy to shape the trajectory to avoid defences. Can we analog the Shourya to be a powered weapon which manouvers and does the same without leaving the atmosphere in some trajectories?[/quote]

Correct.

The book has lots of eye popping information, data and provides insight to missile designers. And reading it I realize Shourya's implications.

Reading about the BGRV (Boost Glide RV) was insightful. The slow rolling maneuver to evenly dissipate heat over larger surface allowed it to be a metal skin vehicle for high hypersonic regime. A sustainer style long burning main stage can provide very interesting capabilities, and it is not necessary for nose section to part away.
[quote name='Kritavarma' date='16 March 2010 - 04:37 AM' timestamp='1268693945' post='105206']

Arunji,

A lot of noise is being made about the "hostile" prithvi failing. Is this just a random failure or is it that we still have quality control problems even in basic matters ? I certainly believe there is no basic problem with prithvi or even agni I/II. I also find it hard to believe that QC problems could arise so consistently. It may not be random coincidence.

One thing the authorities should seriously watch out for is sabotage in the production line. Recently, some workers at BDL were caught trying to do this sort of thing (maybe for some other equipment). Special IB detachments need to be integrated with important facilities like BDL.

[/quote]

The Prithvi target vehicle is only Prithvi in name sake because its main engine is Prithvi and the upper section looks like the classic Prithvi. In reality it is a highly modified missile because it does not have warhead mass and its burnout velocity is much higher than Prithvi-350. I expect the control software to be heavily modified to allow it to mimic a longer range IRBM. They are pushing the limit on that test frame as reaches those high burn out speed.

This failure mode thus is very unlikely in production Prithvi that are in operational use (unlike this experimental Prithvi).
[quote name='Raj Malhotra' date='15 March 2010 - 07:48 PM' timestamp='1268662232' post='105195']

[url="http://www.upiasia.com/Security/2010/03/04/indias_emerging_maritime_clout/7272/"]My link[/url]

New Delhi, India — The Indian Defense Ministry’s Sixth Land and Naval Defense Systems Exhibition held in New Delhi last month showcased newly inducted equipment by the country’s navy and army. Defexpo 2010 saw over 650 companies from around the world display their products and systems for possible acquisition by India’s military.

But the indigenously developed Shaurya missile, capable of being fired underwater by Indian submarines, was the pièce de résistance of the exhibition. The missile is a canister-launched, solid-fuelled hypersonic surface-to-surface tactical weapon capable of carrying a payload of conventional or nuclear warheads.

With a range of 700 to 1,900 kilometers, the trajectory of the missile, unlike ballistic missiles, can be preprogrammed to make it difficult for anti-missile systems to intercept.

[/quote]

Excellent.

Reading the [url="http://www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore/book.php?w=978-1-61566-547-1"]Lightning Bolts[/url], First Maneuvering Reentry Vehicles by William Yengst the above specs for Shourya make sense.

From what I can gather the 700 km range is when the flight is at a constant cruising altitude of 40 km.

The maximum range of 1,900 km is when it executes a Prihvi like trajectory. I.e. Ballistic ascent and upon re-entry ( ~ 1300 km @ 400 kg payload) change to hypersonic cruise trajectory at ~40 km cruising altitude and reaching a final range of 1,900 km.
[quote name='Arun_S' date='16 March 2010 - 06:05 AM' timestamp='1268699277' post='105209']

Excellent.

Reading the [url="http://www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore/book.php?w=978-1-61566-547-1"]Lightning Bolts[/url], First Maneuvering Reentry Vehicles by William Yengst the above specs for Shourya make sense.

From what I can gather the 700 km range is when the flight is at a constant cruising altitude of 40 km.

The maximum range of 1,900 km is when it executes a Prihvi like trajectory. I.e. Ballistic ascent and upon re-entry ( ~ 1300 km @ 400 kg payload) change to hypersonic cruise trajectory at ~40 km cruising altitude and reaching a final range of 1,900 km.

[/quote]

The manufacturer has following to say about their product:

Quote:DRDO scientists have revealed that the Shaurya is not a ballistic missile, as it has been thought to be; it is actually a hypersonic cruise missile, which never leaves the atmosphere.
DRDO's official statement about the abortive AAD test:

Quote:The flight test under Programme AD was planned to be conducted on 15 Mar 2010 to demonstrate the interception of Tactical Ballistic Missile in endo-atmospheric region. As part of the mission, a target missile mimicking the incoming ballistic missile in terms of altitude and speed, was launched from ITR, Chandipur on 15 Mar 2010 at around 1010 hrs.

The target missile took off in normal way; at T+20 sec (approx) the target deviated due to some onboard system malfunction and could not maintain the intended trajectory, failing to attain the desired altitude profile. The Mission Control Centre computer found that the interception is not warranted as the deviated target did not present the incoming missile threat scenario and accordingly the system intelligently did not allow take-off of the interceptor missile for engaging the target. The cause of the target malfunction is being investigated by analysis of tele-metered data.
Quote:The target missile is fired from the Chandipur on sea launch site, and the wheeler island is about 70 Km downstream. The target missile will again likely be a Prithvi.

Now doesn't this sound like boost phase intercept because of the small distance involved? IIRC only one test off a sukanya class ship was a re-entry test (the test where supposedly both the PAD and the AAD were to be fired).

My friend Gagan, when you see that the interceptor was not launched by a mission control computer at 20 seconds of target/hostile flight, it DOES mean that it may not have been a boost phase destruction scenario after all.
Folks, Read the book "Lightning Bolts" by William Yengst posted above. While it describes the early US developments, it also has chapters on India, China and Russia. The big aha moment for me was it made me understand the Indian strategy of the MRVs for the Agni, coupled with the small yields and how it constitutes an assured retaliatory strike in case of breakdown. I am willing to make this prediction. As future arms control limits come into play between US and Russia they will scrap their current pure ballistic RVs and changeover to MRVs.

BTW we now understand the long flight times for the Agni RVs! And what Shourya is! Its a powered boost glide vehicle. It never leaves the atmosphere making it difficult for sats to detect it.
ARC's Athena rocket

Looks like the Prithvi target vehicle is something like this.
[quote name='ramana' date='17 March 2010 - 09:32 PM' timestamp='1268841273' post='105246']

Folks, Read the book "Lightning Bolts" by William Yengst posted above.[/quote]

Ramana,

It might not be possible for everyone to read that book. Can you elaborate a little more on what the salient featrues of that book are? Specifically the parts related to India and China?

Thanks in advance.
A Peek at Next-Generation Agni-V

Mail Today

Quote:Shiv Aroor

Wed, Mar 17 01:27 PM

Shrouded in secrecy for its political implications, the first visual impressions of India's most ambitious nuclear delivery system, the Agni-5 ballistic missile, are out. Officials with the Agni programme in Hyderabad Confirmed the Pictures were an Accurate Depiction of the In-Development Weapon.

On February 10, Agni programme director Dr Avinash Chander had told Headlines Today, "The Agni-5 looks similar to the Agni-3, except that it is Longer as a result of an Additional Propulsion Stage."

Still at least a year away from its first test-firing-an official estimate says February 2011- the Agni-5 has already acquired a formidable global reputation. In October last year, in its first ever reference to an Indian weapon programme, China's state-owned People's Daily newspaper pointed out that "India's Agni-5 Missile is Highly Road-Mobile, and effectively puts Harbin, China's northernmost city within striking range."

The Agni-5 is being built to deliver a nuclear warhead out to ranges of 5,000-6,000/ km. Sources reveal that 60 per cent of the first Agni-5 missile system is complete, with work now focused on the weapon's crucial third stage. Scientists are currently tweaking the missile's payload structure, introducing extra heating and making alterations to the re- entry mechanism.

The missile will also be India's first to be propelled by a composite rocket motor as opposed to a metallic one. With the 3,500-km-range Agni-3 to Enter Service with India's Strategic Forces Command- which governs all nuclear weapons- This Year, the Agni-5 will be put through a similar Four-Flight Trial between 2011-2013.
Shiv Aroor is referring to 3 D rendering of Agni -2 m dia missile and warheads, that were generated from my 2 D drawing dimensions (I had the same 3 D renderings from one of the BRFite who generated it for me, to put on-line) I never got change to incorporate the 3 D rending in my web article, before I left BR in disgust. The person has since then given teh rending to SHiv Aroor for wider dissemination.
[quote name='Arun_S' date='18 March 2010 - 09:45 PM' timestamp='1268948246' post='105271']

Shiv Aroor is referring to 3 D rendering of Agni -2 m dia missile and warheads, that were generated from my 2 D drawing dimensions (I had the same 3 D renderings from one of the BRFite who generated it for me, to put on-line) I never got change to incorporate the 3 D rending in my web article, before I left BR in disgust. The person has since then given the rending to SHiv Aroor for wider dissemination.

[/quote]

In simpler sentences, Shiv Aroor has just confirmed with DRDO, your concept of the MIRV configuration of the Agni. Congrats!!!

Might think of asking the renderer to post an ack in Shiv's blog.