MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
The Great Rising Of 1857 - Part I

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Great Rising Of 1857 - Part I
<!--QuoteBegin-Ravish+Oct 14 2006, 04:53 PM-->QUOTE(Ravish @ Oct 14 2006, 04:53 PM)<!--QuoteEBegin-->Most Indians of means at that time, as it is in the present were opportunists. Therefore, some of the Indian rulers ganged up to exploite the situation for their own material gain. We Indians of the present to glorify our past do try to capitalise on the event.
Do you think that a few thousand British soldiers spread over this vast country could have been able to re gain control without the sizable and effective help of a substantial number of Indians.
[right][snapback]59095[/snapback][/right]
<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It started as a revolt of the Indian soldiers against the Britishers, but it soon assumed the character of a mass uprising in large parts on India. British were able to regain not because of substantial help from Indians. In fact if you read some of Marx's journalism on the revolt, you will realise that large contingents on proper British (read White) forces were being sent to India. In fact Marx was the doomsday predictor for the British fully convinced that the British would be ousted out of India. After the beginning of the war, the Britishers did not trust any Indians, so they did not win due to Indian support, though they had the Sikhs, Gurkhas and some Indian principalities on thier side. In fact it is not the British who won, they definitely tried and they had some outstanding generals, but rather it is us who lost. After overthrowing the Britishers the sepoys did not have a plan B. The revolt was very much a spontaneous reaction against the Company's insensitivities, not a thought out coordinated action. So you had various theatres of action, but no strategy between them. The various rulers joined them against the British for their own reasons. You may all accuse me of scenario building but even if we had won, you think we would have won permanently. You think after what the British had enjoyed in India for close to 100 years, they would have let go off so lightly. Maybe they would have lost out in 1857 and 58, but would have come back again. After winning Delhi the sepoys had pretty sufficient time before the British could gather themselves and put Delhi to seige again. Was there anything happening in interim to suggest that we would put off the British permanently.

Messages In This Thread
The Great Rising Of 1857 - Part I - by Guest - 09-23-2005, 08:01 PM
The Great Rising Of 1857 - Part I - by Guest - 09-10-2006, 04:21 AM
The Great Rising Of 1857 - Part I - by ramana - 09-12-2006, 12:53 AM
The Great Rising Of 1857 - Part I - by Guest - 10-14-2006, 04:53 PM
The Great Rising Of 1857 - Part I - by Guest - 11-28-2006, 12:25 AM
The Great Rising Of 1857 - Part I - by Guest - 11-29-2006, 02:53 PM
The Great Rising Of 1857 - Part I - by Guest - 11-29-2006, 05:24 PM
The Great Rising Of 1857 - Part I - by Guest - 03-24-2007, 09:46 AM